Sunday, July 31, 2011

Brief Weeds - A Very Generous Portrait 7"

This one is definitely for the collectors. Before Fugazi and Rites of Spring, Brendan Canty and Guy Picciotto played together in Brief Weeds. If you're expecting that 80's DC punk you'd better start looking elsewhere, because this really sounds nothing like the bands that would make the members of this band so popular in later years.

Brief Weeds plays pop music heavily influenced by the 1960s. Think bands like The Zombies, The Animals or dare I even say, The Monkees. At times it's hard to believe these songs were recorded in the late 80s. They feel 20 years older than they really are. I'm not really sure what else to say about this one. It's an interesting look at some of my favorite musicians favorite work and I'm definitely stoked to have it in the collection. I can guarantee that not everyone is love this, but give it a shot. I Dream To Dream has some definite jam worthy moments. The River Song (odd song out on this 7") actually reminds me of some of the weirder moments on Fugazi's Instrument soundtrack.

Calvin Johnson's label, K Records (See Kev's post on Johnson's mixtape, We Will Bury You) put this out in 1991 and I'm sure is long out of print. Check it out. Listen with an open mind, you might find yourself loving it.
~AB

No comments:

Post a Comment