Monday, March 21, 2011

Alessa - My Brother Was Eaten by Wolves on the Conneticut Turnpike

AB: New post from best bud and prairie brother, Aaron Scholz. Always great to hear what he's jamming on and I hope everyone enjoys his posts as much as I do.

In 2007, I used to sit in my underwear late at night and surf web forums in search of cool bands who I thought I could potentially convince to tour through Saskatoon and play with my wimpy screamo band. I ended up meeting a dude named Bob who blew my mind with his musical taste and, more importantly, his awesome band Alessa. Up the New Hampshire punx! Though they never ended up crossing the border, they put out one heck of an EP. This particular 7” was released by I'm Not Yr Dentist Records and oddly, never got the full attention it deserved.

From what I remember, Alessa was formed after three dudes met each other at a Das Oath show in 2006. While you don’t necessarily hear a Mark McCoy influence on this collection of songs, they sure do rage! Four jams full of shiver-inducing screams a la pg.99 over mid-paced dark hardcore with lyrics which emphasize pro-but-not-preachy straight edge and the importance of DIY ethics.

If you’re going to have an emotional breakdown in less than ten minutes, this is the best soundtrack you’ll find to that horribly embarrassing moment.
~AS

1 comment:

  1. Dear Aaron,

    I just saw this and I love that you posted this... even though I'm finding it a loooong time after it was posted.

    We have more shit on http://alessa.bandcamp.com

    also, I'm totally not edge at all haha. One of my friends just fell off the wagon hardcore when we got to college. Lol.

    Love and stuff! Hope you are doing well!

    -Bob

    ReplyDelete