Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Kevin Rips: A History Of - Victory Atlas EP

We had a request for A History of - and even though it's been months and months since then, rest assured we do not forget.

I was listening to A History Of's newest LP Action in the North Atlantic - which you'ns should grab from the great Halifax label NOYES while it's still in print (and while you're at it, order most everything else from them!) - but digressions aside, I was listening to their new record and have been getting into it more and more. I first witnessed A History Of during the filming of the 6015 Willow St. DVD about 5 or so years ago, a teaser from which you can cop here. At the time I couldn't get past the all too apparent North of America aping going with A History of. Since their drummer, Lance Purcell, used to also drum in The Plan, and there's that connection there, I guess I should have been more forgiving. After all, if you're going to rip off a band, it may as well be Norts, aka the best band ever. I mean - yeah, they want to sound like Norts - what's my problem?

Maybe what I remembered was the silly nonsense lyrics in Low Level. But who cares, the opening Recruits & Defectors is a rager that stands with the best of them. Obviously the drumming is really solid (especially in The Truth About Youth), and there's quite a few interesting guitar lines to be found. Post-hardcore highly informed by Halifax pop-explosion-era indie rock. A History of are still active, and I'm thankful that someone is still jamming this style, and doing it so well.
~KS

1 comment:

  1. thanks for posting this. I didn't even know they had this EP. 'A history of' isn't the most google-friendly band name.

    ReplyDelete