Friday, November 5, 2010

Mineral - February/M.D. 7"

No other band causes such a mixed bag of reactions in the emo genre than Mineral does, and rightly so. Mineral was and continues to be a pretty divisive band in the scene. Some will argue that they represent the pinnacle of midwest sappy emo rock, while others will say that bands like Mineral are what corrupted the genre and pushed it towards a more radio friendly sound. Personally I love the band. I know they're super cheesy and insanely melodramatic, but that's what I adore about it. Listening to Mineral is like being catapulted back into your 16 year old body, a time where everything is so urgent and important, despite it's obvious triviality. It's silly and you know it, but you can't help but let it wash over you.

I like all of Mineral's stuff, but I find this 7" to be the most concise and solid offering they ever put out. While the 2 full lengths may have had a bit of filler in the middle, the February/M.D. 7" is 2 really solid jams. Like most songs in their discography, both of these are slow builders filled with twinkly guitars and manic depressive whined vocals. These guys obviously had a formula and they stuck with it. I think my favorite part of this entire 7" is at 3:50 in M.D. Huge soaring melodies and harmonies. Emo gold Jerry, emo gold!

Those who hate this, really hate it, and those who love it, probably already have this, but I figured it was worth posting regardless.
~AB

1 comment:

  1. I think I'm in the 'love it' category. guess I'm still stuck in teenage ways, but I don't really care.

    ReplyDelete