Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Kevin Rips: Hrswhip - Vindictiveness

Another favourite cassette culled from the boxes. Admittedly, I had this on my computer long before I ever got the tape. In fact, this album was the only thing I have ever paid iTunes for. For whatever reason, at the time, that was the only place all of the songs were available.

Hrswhip is Dave Secretary, whom I seem to recall had previously played in Canadian screamo band Van Johnson. Well here in Hrswhip, he played every instrument, which is a mighty feat considering this really does sounds like a full band. It's incredibly intricate instrumental math-rock (though in a song or two some Party of Helicopters-like vocals do appear). The difference being is that it isn't overly indulgent like a large chunk of math-rock can be - because while bands like Don Cab or something do indeed ROCK, they often forget the ROLL. And these songs do roll. But it's not like it's all counting out time signatures,because the songs rip. While many of these songs almost seem like demos recorded in the hopes of getting a band formed, it's actually quite nice to get a collection of songs with such immediacy - as if he had to get the songs out and recorded right now before they got lost and forgotten. At times it kind of reminds me of Weights & Measures, but I have to say I've come back to this a little more often. "Dead Monsters" stands out as a high-light, where the almost out-of-place piano line comes in sounding almost like a Mouse on the Keys-style hard-hitting piano jazz song.

This album was a definite favourite while I was in Korea; and strangely enough, I believe Mr. Secretary was spending some time in Asia as well, only adding to the affinity I felt for this record. If only all basement solo-recording sounded like this.
~KS

No comments:

Post a Comment