Monday, May 10, 2010

Special Noise - S/T

My old band played with Special Noise a few years ago on a bill labeled as "Math Vs. Emoz", my band being on the emo side, Special Noise falling into the math category. While hanging outside the hall waiting for the show to start, this mid 90's fairly weathered and well traveled Honda Accord with Ontario plates rolled up, and proceeded to pour out a drum set, a large cab, 2 heads, 2 guitars, a skateboard, a full size road bike and 4 dudes. It was like some sort of strange punk rock clown car. Funny thing is, Special Noise only has 2 members, but they had been picking up people along the way. Anyways, anyone who can tour across the country in a Honda Accord with that much stuff is A-OK in my books!

Of course they played their set and killed it. Super fun start-stop mathy rock that doesn't take itself too seriously. The drums are really killer on this record, they really keep the beat going when the guitars are off doing weirdo stuff. Sort of reminds me of 1994 and Tiny Hawks, but a bit more fun and poppy. Maybe I'm just making that comparison because of the 2 member limit. ...who knows, I'm terrible at this stuff. These gents are from Montreal via Halifax, so you hear a lot of the Halifax pop influence in their tunes, perfect for summer hang outs and bike rides. I hope this band comes back soon!
~AB

No comments:

Post a Comment